Welcome!

You have accessed the blog site for Choosing and Using Books for Children. Throughout the term we'll use our blog to record the books we read and the ideas we have for using them when we're teachers. By the end of March, our class will have read at least 280 books. Happy reading!

Two important protocol actions for EVERY post:
1. Underline or italicize all book titles (choose one formatting style and stick with it--underline OR italicize for all book titles)
2. Add your name in the "label" box before you post each documentation.

One important recommendation:
Create your documentations in a separate Word document, then cut and paste in a blog post.

Basic Documentation

Book Title:

Author(s):

Illustrator/Photographer/Artist:

Publisher:

Copyright Date:

Genre:

Brief Annotation:

Your Rating (1-5) and why:

Readers who will like this book:

Teaching Strategy from Tompkins or Yopp & Yopp (you'll link a strategy to at least 10 of your 40 books) :

Question to ask about this book before a read aloud:

Optional, but noted as extra effort:

1. Interest Level (age):

2. Grade Level Equivalent (grade):
Use book wizard to help with the previous 2 areas


3. List awards

4. Does this book have a book trailer? If so, cut and paste the web address here.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Chains


Book Title: Chains


Author(s): Laurie Halse Anderson


Cover Design: Lizzy Bromley


Publisher: Atheneum Books


Copyright Date: 2008


Genre: Historical Fiction Novel


Brief Annotation:


After being unlawfully sold to a cruel Loyalist couple, Isabel and her sister, Ruth, find out just what it's like to be a slave during the American Revolutionary War. Though American rebels dream of freedom, they do not grant that same freedom to the slaves they own themselves. Isabel is tried and tested, beaten physically and emotionally, but her soul remains strong with thoughts of freedom, honesty, and justice for her and her sister – they “cannot chain my soul.”


Your Rating (1-5) and why:


5 – I couldn’t put it down. I love Isabel – She’s so levelheaded and strong during such an irrational time in history. I admire her selflessness and her clever composure even around the people who were only vile towards her. Also, the story is very captivating and true to events that occurred during the Revolutionary War in 1776. Each chapter begins with an excerpt from an actual letter or headline from that time, and each excerpt drops a hint to the reader about what to expect from the chapter.


Readers who will like this book:


American History buffs and adventure buffs. The writing is so smooth, and even though it’s 300 pages long, I think it would make a great read-aloud.


Yopp & Yopp Prereading Activity- Object Boxes p. 24:


The object boxes include objects that create anticipation and provide clues about what to expect from the text. The students make predictions about the text based on the objects presented.


Example of objects I would show before reading Chains:


The letter “I,” Ruth’s doll, chains, a red coat, a union jack, map of the colonies and their flag, the Declaration of Independence, a copy of Common Sense, King George’s head (only if a I could find it with the nose all messed up...)


Question to ask about this book before a read aloud:


What was the conflict about during the Revolutionary War?

How do you think the Americans felt towards slavery? The British?

If you were a slave, would you try to escape?


1. Interest Level (age): 12-14


2. Grade Level Equivalent (grade): 4.7


3. List Awards:


National Book Award Finalist, Scott-O’Dell Award for Historical Fiction


4. Book Trailer:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEYMHu5uQMw

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad to know you liked this book so much--I do, too! Last year, though, I used it as a whole class book with my EDUC 3490 class, and Chains got very mixed reviews--actually, mostly negative reviews. I couldn't believe it. Some people thought the plot dragged (huh?) and that it was too long. I was flabbergasted. Like you, I thought it was a total page-turner. I started reading it on an airplane and my heart was in my throat during the first few chapters. I worried that I was making noises and that passengers around me would think I was strange :-)

    Anyway, it's fine when I disagree w/ people about a book, but this one is unimpeachable, as you've noted, when it comes to writing style and historical accuracy. I'd read it aloud, too, to complement a study of the American Revolution, or for a thematic study on courage. I just couldn't believe how many evil people Isabel encountered throughout the book. There was no relief! In that way, Isabel was a little like the kids from A Series of Unfortunate Events . .. maybe that's a stretch?

    Your book box idea is a good one to create interest and tap into background knowledge--thanks for making an extra effort to show what you'd include for your Chains book box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed the delta airline ticket in the book! I used it as a bookmark.

    And you're right, the unfortunate events that Isabel encounters does feel like Lemony Snicket's story, but I knew Isabel would conquer some pretty big beasts by the end of this book and not 10 books later :)

    Did you read Forge?

    ReplyDelete